Practical Maths for the Holidays

Why not try some practical maths this half term?  It will be fun to do and will also help your understanding of maths.  Here are some ideas:

Help Mummy and Daddy by weighing ingredients when they are baking or cooking.  You can also measure liquids.

Take some money when you go shopping and count out the correct amount when you want to buy something.  You could also work out how much change you will be given if you don’t pay by the exact amount.

Keep an eye on the time!  Notice what time you get up in the morning, have breakfast, get dressed, go out to play, have lunch and dinner and go to bed.

4 thoughts on “Practical Maths for the Holidays

1. Billionaire Boy by David Walliams

This book is not just about money but the value of friendship. Joe Spud is a very rich boy. His father made a lot of money selling toilet paper. But Joe is unhappy at school because he is fat and has no friends. His Dad tries to make him happy using his money but gets it horribly wrong. I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very funny at times, especially the chapter listing the silly names of people who should not be teachers (because they would get teased by the pupils!!!). My favourites were: Justin Case, Barbara Blacksheep, Lolly Popp and Hazel Nut!! The book also made me think that what is important is family and friends not how much money you have. I really recommend it!

• Well done, Rafi! I enjoyed reading your review and you obviously learnt an important message about the value of family and friends.
      from Mrs T

2. dylan on April 11, 2016 at 10:50 am said:
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    There’s a Dragon In My Dinner by Tom Nicol

This is a book about a boy called Eric. He finds a dragon, called Pan, in his bean sprouts in his takeaway. He thinks it’s a free toy but it’s real! The dragon gets him into trouble by eating his clothes – he lives in Eric’s sock drawer! When his friend Jayden comes over to play Pan hides in a plant pot.
    The girl called Min from the Chinese takeaway gives Eric an encyclopaedia of Dragons to find out what type of dragon he is and how to look after him. He eats roasted goat, dirty clothes and prawn crackers! Eric even takes Pan to school.
    I enjoyed reading this book the next one is called There’s a Dragon in my backpack.

Reply ↓

• Well done for writing an interesting review, Dylan. I am looking forward to reading your next one, once you have read ‘There’s a Dragon in my Backpack’.
      From Mrs T